Technology Integration Issues: Digital inequality


Integrating Technology and Creating Change as Teacher Leaders (TNLT Chapter 12)


I’ve grown up during the digital age and sometimes I question the integration of technology in the classroom. I guess I am reluctant to use technology in my lessons, but I also fear that I will become dependent on technology and so will my students. I also do not understand how we can integrate and infuse technology into education when not every school can afford it and not every student has access to technology at home. I feel that there are many challenges teachers face in their efforts to integrate technology into their teaching.

Image result for digital inequality
(https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603083/the-unacceptable-persistence-of-the-digital-divide/)


As TNLT Chapter 12 states, “differences in access to technology, commonly known as the digital divide, continues to be a persistent and pervasive educational issue.” If you look at the figure below, there’s a correlation between low socio-economic status and having access to technology.



 There is also a correlation between racial/ethnical background and student interactions with technology.  This translates into school because those students, the technology have-nots, are having a different experience with technology than everyone else. In fact, “those with reduced access to multiple technologies at home or in school are educationally disadvantaged because they are less able to use and learn from the latest tools” (Maloy, Verok, Ruth-Ellen, Sharon & Woolf, 2017, p. 301).  These students have different technology experiences inside and outside school. How can teachers address these students and their experiences? I guess this is why I am hesitant. Teaching without technology allows the students with technological deficits to be on the same playing field as other students. However, that’s also bad pedagogy because as a 21st century educator, I should be helping students become technologically literate. I am confused!!

Comments

  1. I feel the same way. It can be very challenging for teachers to incorporate technology in the classroom when the school cannot afford it. I have also had the same question as I have experienced two different types of schools while student teaching. Teachers cannot assign homework online or give assignment online if not every student can do it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabby,
    My son attends high school and my daughter in grammar school and all of their work is done with the use of technology. They are given ipads and are required to read and complete even math assignments on them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts