Expressing and Teaching with Multimodal Technology


Expressing Creativity with Multimedia Technologies 

(TNLT Chapter 9) 

This chapter presented information regarding the use of multimedia technologies to express creativity but also express student knowledge. I think it is imperative that creativity and content is intertwined in the classroom because creative activities or assessments provide students with motivation to recapitulate the knowledge they have on a particular topic. When I think of the creativity in a traditional classroom, I think of construction paper, markers, crayons, tape, glue, poster boards, etc -- like what you see in this image below:

Related image
(https://kid101.com/free-things-to-do-in-houston-this-weekend-428-430/artforkids-background1/)

However, in the digital age, students can not only express their creativity by using scissors and markers, but also with multimedia technologies like presentation software and apps, YouTube and student and teacher-made videos, video-editing tools, digital cameras, digital storytelling, digital art tools, movie-making apps, photo editing apps, etc. (Maloy, Verok, Ruth-Ellen, Sharon, & Woolf, 2017, p. 213). 

Image result for multimedia technology

Students can use multimedia technologies to learn and express their learning, but teachers can also use these technologies as a tool to teach. Teachers can use screencasting as a tool for teaching; I took an online class at St. John’s University last semester, History 1010: Global History. This professor often screencasted her presentations with an accompanying voiceover narration. She also was able to click and enlarge on images while she was talking about them, circling parts of the image for us to analyze in depth, etc. I have taken other online course that did not employ this, and may I say that this was the most engaging online course I have taken because of the way my professor chose to administer her content.  She even has us do our own screen recording for our responses to her homework questions.

Strategy 3 & 4: How to Use Video, QR, AR and Other Scannable Technology
(The Last Backpack Generation)

From the next textbook reading, Strategy 3: How to use Video stood out to me as I am not that comfortable with QR codes or AR. Regardless, videos would be something I’d integrate into my future classroom. I’ve noticed how some of my students LOVE YouTube; they are obsessed with “vlogging” and James Charles. Students already record themselves doing things with their friends and this is something teachers should take advantage of.  Although, teachers should emphasis the appropriateness of videos taken for school purposes.  Students can record videos on their cellphones or even the tablets in school.  

I feel the number one benefit of video is that it can be used in any content area!  Teachers can teach through videos or even upload a review of a lesson on a class YouTube channel to watch at home after school; this brings learning outside the classroom.  Videos can also be used by teachers as a way to provide other students with a pathway to access the content as well; maybe students have difficulty with reading content but can grasp it by watching. Also, students can use videos to showcase their learning to the teacher and to their fellow classmates.  Maybe students can create daily vlogs of them doing their homework and explaining it. Maybe students can create a movie or a reenactment of a topic. For instance, in a science class, students can work together to make a film about the steps of the digestive system. In a social studies classroom, students can work together to make a film recreating the Dustbowl. Honestly, the possibilities are endless, and this is something I am seriously considering to implement in my future class!

(https://gfycat.com/gifs/search/movie+reel+countdown)

Comments

  1. Hi Gabby,
    When I am doing a new lesson with my class I always use a video as my launch/motivation. The students love it and it gives them a visual representation of what they will be learning. I pause the video at times and we talk about the important points that are relevant to the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabby,

    I loved how you mentioned ScreenCasting for online learning. I'm currently in an online course for Special Education portion of my program, here, and my professor does the same thing. She often has a very multimodal sense to learning, even though the class is entirely digital. We still have traditional assignments, such as papers, but she ScreenCasts her comments about our discussion board posts, she blends reading with video watching, and she does online lectures. My professor also allows us to create Canvas and info-graphs. I personally believe that this multimodal and blended approach to learning as made that class all the more wonderful to take, especially for an online course. The same can also be said for this course that we are currently in together, as well.

    Finally, I liked how you stated the following: "Videos can also be used by teachers as a way to provide other students with a pathway to access the content as well; maybe students have difficulty with reading content but can grasp it by watching." I am constantly trying to bring TedTalks into my own classrooms so that students can better relate to the content I'm trying to convey to them.

    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gabby,

    I like the idea you mentioned, "Teachers can teach through videos or even upload a review of a lesson on a class YouTube channel to watch at home after school; this brings learning outside the classroom." Many teachers will often say that there is not enough time within the school day to teach all intended content during lessons. I believe videos are a great way to extend learning into the home environment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts