Understanding Educational Technology Issues and Trends
Understanding Educational Technology Issues and
Trends
Developing Lessons and Engaging
Students
I
feel the enduring issue of being a teacher is how students feel detached from
school; they don’t see the relevance to their own lives and as a result, they
feel detached. Teachers can just tell by
look at their students’ faces that they are bored, lack motivation and are
disengaged. According to TNLT Chapter 2,
•
Two-thirds of high school students report feeling bored in classes every day.
• More
than half of high school students said that outside of class they never discuss
academic material or readings with teachers.
• Half
said they never receive prompt feedback from teachers on assignments
(Maloy, Verok, Ruth-Ellen, Sharon, & Woolf, 2017, p. 31).
(giphy.com)
A
teacher can combat the issues of disengagement by using digital tools to
enhance their instructional practices, motivate students, and reach their
students outside of the classroom.
-
An example of an Instructional practice is when a teacher interacts
directly with their students. This can
be done by “accessing the web for
class
discussion, using technology for presentations or simulations, having
students
use handheld and wireless devices as part of group projects, and
integrating
handheld and wireless devices into academic activities.
Reading with E-books and
E-readers
TNLT Chapter 2 gives the example of e-reading as another way to develop and engage students. Sometimes I feel like digital reading takes
away from the raw experience of reading a paperback, feeling the pages, being
able to write directly in the margins to annotate. I don’t know if I made this
up, but I feel like I’ve heard that if you handwrite notes and highlight physical
books, you’re more likely to retain that information. I feel that on e-reading apps, you still can
do this but its typing and swiping your finger. I personally feel that it doesn’t
have the same impact as handwriting.
However, I do see the benefits of using e-reading apps. TNLT Chapter 2 states that e-reading apps
offer a more interactive experience for students by allowing “teachers embed
quizzes, discussions, videos, and weblinks into electronic books, articles, and
PDFs that they find online. Each page loaded into Subtext becomes a
multilayered reading experience with annotation, search, audio, text,
formatting, and bookmarking options for the reader and the teacher” (Maloy, et al., 2017, 32).
Additionally, I also see how e-reading can help and engage every student, even students
with disabilities or students learning English or have English as a second
language. Digital text is a multimodal experience that engage students because it has
options like:
-
text-to-speech and human voice narration
-
word highlighting to learn word meanings and pronunciation
-
interactive glossaries,
-
record-your-own-voice functions so students can listen to themselves reading
the text (Dalton, 2014)
(Maloy, et al., 2017, 33).
The benefits
of reading e-books and e-readers are clear. For instance, all of the options
above can help ESL and ELLs practice how to speak, pronounce words, look up
words in their language to make a translation, etc. It would also be beneficial for students with
learning disabilities or other academic needs (struggling readers) to read with
these interactive devices to practice reading, hearing someone else read, and
improve comprehension.
Even
though I know all the benefits, I still love reading paperback books. I feel students should not only read on an e-reader
but should also read physical books too to be exposed to reading that way
too. It should be a balance of physical
books and e-books.
(giphy.com)


I have to agree with you, I like the feeling of reading on paper better. When I read on my phone or laptop for too long I notice my eyes start to hurt. However, the students in my current classroom LOVE to read on the computer. Yet, I noticed it can become a problem when they do need to read on paper because they do not have the stamina. The way we feeling about reading on the computer is the way our students feel about reading on paper.
ReplyDelete