Performance Assessment & Reflective Learning
Engaging Students in Performance Assessment & Reflective Learning (TNLT Chapter 10)
There are many ways a teacher can assess their
students. Teachers can administer pre-assessments, formative assessments, and
summative assessments to gauge student knowledge. However, as Chapter 10
states, performance assessments can also be used to evaluate student learning
and involve students in the assessment process. The most important part of
performance-based assessments is that they require students to "think reflectively
about what they had done academically and presenting it in ways that others
could view and understand" (Maloy, Verok, Ruth-Ellen, Sharon & Woolf,
2017, p. 248).
TNLT
Chapter 10 discusses how teachers can use digital portfolios to assess student
performance and growth in addition to traditional assessments (tests, essays,
quizzes, etc.). As Maloy, et al. (2017) state, “portfolios were opportunities
to assess their performance through a technology-based approach to evaluation
that involved both personal self-reflection and feedback from readers and
viewers” (p. 270) Digital portfolios are also student created and can help
students develop a sense of ownership of their learning.

(http://edtechreview.in/trends-insights/insights/1537-how-do-digital-portfolios-help-students)
I am considering digital portfolios in my future classroom because it helps students in
two key ways:
1. Students are self-evaluating/self-reflecting as they select materials to include in their digital portfolios.
2. Students are learning how to use technology to promote personal learning and knowledge (Maloy, et al., p. 270).
When I was in school, my teachers had folders we called portfolios that contained student-selected assignment/project. We decorated our portfolios and organized our assignments in a pleasing way for our teacher to view and for our parents to view at parent-teacher conference. We also had to write reflections every month about our learning and why we decided to include an assignment in our portfolio. I feel that is similar to the digital portfolio Chapter 10 discusses disregarding the fact that it was not digital. I think I would have students create their own digital portfolio; I believe students would enjoy designing their portfolio and selecting assignments that showcase their learning and abilities the best.
(https://media0.giphy.com/media/BemKqR9RDK4V2/giphy.gif)

Hi,
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if I can have a digital portfolio for my students. I am kind of old fashioned when it comes to this and would prefer to have a folder for each students to display their work. Although the digital portfolio would look nice, I still like to have the papers to refer to and to show the parents at conferences.
Hi Gabby,
ReplyDeleteI liked the idea of guiding students to create a digital portfolio. It compiles all of their work into one source. In addition, teachers can learn more about their students by viewing previous assignments.